How to Spring Clean the Outside of Your Home
As we approach the end of March, it is time to spring clean the outside of your house. We have nice weather this week and hopefully it will continue to stay warm. We know that April showers bring May flowers, so make sure your home is ready for these showers. Most of us spring clean the inside of our homes, but sometimes the outside is over looked. If you take a few very important steps in protecting your biggest asset it will pay off. Doing some general maintenance can prevent water damage in and around your home.
- First step is to check your gutters, clean them out, make sure they are in good condition
- Then make sure the soffit and fascia boards underneath your gutters are not rotted
- Check the condition of your roof
- Examine your sprinkler system
- Keep painted surfaces in good condition, if paint is chipped and pealing it is easier for the wood to rot
- Make sure your land slopes down coming away from the foundation of your home. A good rule of thumb is 6 vertical inches over 10 ft.
- Clean out your dryer vents or have them professionally cleaned to prevent fires
- Check your sump pumps to make sure they are working properly: http://homeguides.sfgate.com/test-sump-pump-34954.html
- Check for cracks in your foundation, repair if necessary
Outdoor maintenance is essential for keeping your home free from damage. We want you to have a trouble free spring and summer!