What You Need To Know About Radon
January is Radon Action Month. The most important thing you can do to protect yourself and household against radon exposure is to test the radon levels in your house/condo. Radon is the leading cause of lung cancer in non-smokers. There is a direct link between household radon exposure and lung cancer. “We know that radon is a carcinogen. This research confirms that breathing low levels of radon can lead to lung cancer.” The below map show the radon zones in Massachusetts. The red indicates the zone where radon is most prevalent, but radon has been found in all 3 zones.
Protect your home from this damaging radioactive element:
- Get a radon test kit. You can buy one at Home Depot, Lowes or most local hardware stores
Mail in your results to the address indicated on your test kit
- Contact a certified radon mitigation specialist, if your radon levels are high. Here is one we have used.
- Have a radon mitigation system installed in your home/condo
- Check radon levels periodically on your radon mitigation system to make sure the radon levels do not rise into the danger zone
Mancuso-Nowak wants our customers and potential customers to know these important facts on radon and what to do if you have radon. If you have any questions about the company we recommend, please contact us www.mancuso-nowak.com, ask for Joe or Melissa. Good luck and we hope your home is radon free!
* Picture from the EPA website